DEAD POETS SOCIETY

Wednesday, December 5, 2018





When I was a child papa read One Thousand and One Nights to us sisters,
all in one messy heap on the big bed. Scheherazade weaved story after story into sagas
told to the sultan Shahriar, one night at a time, in one thousand and one adventures,
to prolong her own life. Another night she was allowed to live so that he'd get to hear
the end of the story. Papa read and read and read, perhaps for a thousand and
one nights, until we drifted off to sleep and until it was embedded
into my very backbone, the love of storytelling. Following that,
I read the Lord of the Rings to myself and then wrote long love letters
to Tolkien {upon which I cried for two days when mama told me he was dead and
sending those letters probably wouldn't lead to a very fruitful correspondence.}
On the weekends we'd often go to the biggest library closest to our home.
In there we'd disperse by a wind I can still sense the scent of. The scent of an
entire building filled with books. A house of thousands of worlds waiting.
Papa would disappear up to the café where he'd spread out the large format
daily papers, crowding together with cup after cup of pitch black coffee.
Mama is a mystery. Maybe she withdrew to in among
the maze-like rows of bookshelves and let herself be engulfed. 
She's still the one who always knows what book I'll love the most.
Baby sister Emma would lay on her back, her long scrawny legs
{moreover, my forever envy}, sprawling over the red velvet couch of
the glassed room where you could listen to audiobooks,
huge headphones over golden blond disarray.

I don't remember myself there at the library. I just remember the feeling.
I don't remember what I went looking for or what books
I brought home, but I think that all of this is what has made it so
that my vertebrae form as if the spine of a book. Now I need that backbone
to stand up against too much time in front of various screens in my new role as a mother.
I balance between iPad admonishments and that amazement of books that
I want to pass down, on what feels like quite a shaky tightrope at times.

One November evening Cassius and I are home alone. We lay in the big bed among
books and magazines, with stacks of warm teacups and soft satsumas at our side.
His books are mostly still bulky and the pages so thick you'd think they've
been glued together by sticky juice from said satsumas.
Far in between the sentences and close to laughter.
My books have that delicate paper where you almost get a reversed prevue
of the page to follow and still have to go back and reread to keep up
{or maybe that's just me}. He drifts off to sleep, and I roll up my cardigan sleeve,
inch myself closer so that our skin meet. A fox cries somewhere among the courtyards,
and it is perhaps the most sorrowful sound there is.

A lost cub, they say,  - that's the mother howling.

I stroke Cassius's forehead in the amber glow of the streetlight
and think of a quote I've saved on a screen of my own.

Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

So. How I'll read to you, buba. For maybe a thousand and one nights.
And we're gonna drop your love letters into that red, tall letterbox on the corner too.
I'll lift you up until you can reach the dark gap by yourself. Letters to the
Easter bunny like last time, or love letters to authors, the dead ones too.
Mama is strong like that, she's got sagas for a spine.







art | the framed photograph is madame fragonard no 1 by anna malmberg 
bedding | midnatt home






6 comments:

Rebecca Skye Watson said...

oh how beautifully described dear hannah!
i have such fond memories of library visits as a kid, too,
often an after-school refuge.
we just came home from a huge, new, shiny library they've built in our city,
it's called Oodi, as in an ode to books...
and seeing the crowds claiming it for themselves,
finding their nooks to read, the waft of coffee lingering...
in this day & age, enough to bring a tear to the eye :)
books ain't dead & don't we know it!

x

Hannah Lemholt said...


how i TREASURE these words, darling..!!

thank you so much for taking the time to stay
and write that down.. so much.
{ODE. what a stunning name for a library..!}

x


Geisslein said...

I donated all my pocket money for books ... I collected them and my dream was for many years, one day I own my own library ... a space just for my books ... in moody colors, lots of velvet and old big ones Upholstered chairs in which I sit, sunk in my books by candlelight.
Currently I am rebuilding my house, I have put together an old shed to the house and built a new bedroom combinied with bathroom. There will be a room left, my current bedroom ... it would be a cuddly little library... ;o)

x
t.

hannah lemholt said...


do it, do it, do it..!

much love to you, fellow book lover.. x

Patty said...

I love all of your beautiful photos and words. You are so talented and gifted. Thanks for sharing, it is always a joy to follow your blog! Could you please tell the name of the children's book? The illustrations look adorable.

hannah lemholt said...


a belated but big THANK YOU for your very kind comment, patty..!

i'm sorry i managed to miss this and your question,
- it is indeed a lovely book and it's called 'the worm and the bird'.
it's by coralie bickford-smith and from 'particular books'..

wishing you a beautiful new year..!

hannah x