THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF SUMMER

Thursday, September 26, 2019



I collect photographs for printing and think to myself,
I loved the oat milk. The smoothness, somewhat sweet. In a
kitchen, bread; crisp crust from a warm oven, the family moves
in circles, raising their glasses. A boy in a kimono,
I stroke, safeguarding the loveliness. We speak of things
we usually don't. Truths that used to be as if impossibly heavy
old family portraits are now raised with ease and gather
as if children's drawings on organic paper, put up without a plan by tiny
shimmering studs, in sheer sheets all over our thin walls.

Breakfast-tables that seem to be forever set,
always someone lingering with a book as the large french press
empties coffee in delicate little cups. Candles burning down, disappearing
into the hour after hour of glowing in balmy shade
inside thick stone walls, the sun burning all at once outside of them.
Bathing sylphlike in inland lakes with porous floors and in a clawfoot tub so
heavy I'm afraid it's gonna drop through old wooden boards, divulge white foam,
us and milky water down into unfamiliar underground rooms.  
Someone says that August is when their real New Year's transpire.
I don't give that much thought until September comes.
Not till then do I think about S u m m e r.
The boundless supersensible, the one on naked and free foot.  
Misted up mobile phones forgotten amongst moist beach towels,
slumber roughly as the moon shows up pale or the sun turns too searing.
What and where the time is we've misplaced somewhere on a June day
and July is estimated only in the moments between baby skin & more
sunblock and curls calling for detangling. Only come
September do I think about time at all.
Moreover that now another time arises.



I keep collecting the photographs for printing.
I have more everyday instants captured since summer began
than ever before. One day they'll remind me of something.
For all one knows I won't be able to put my finger on it by then,
perhaps I'll stroke them, safeguarding the loveliness.









photo no1 | cassius is wearing mini kimono from bonét et bonét
photo no2 | best all-natural baby bottle ever, made of glass & natural rubber
{I wish I had found these when first we needed baby bottles and
now I'm telling everyone} - from baby quoddle
photo no3, 5, 7 & 9 | 'pepijin' pyjama from liilu
photo no4 | swaddle from bonét et bonét hung up to sieve the light
in the beautiful house of christina, where we stayed a while
{see more, stunning, photos from her house here should you wish}
photo no8 | cassius's combs made of natural horn that doesn't
break the hair are from bonét et bonét
photo no 12, 13 & 15 | the long nightshirt and the softest
corduroy pyjama are also from bonét et bonét
photo no11 | the straw hats, from okounger, wandered from
head to head all summer long






2 comments:

Geisslein said...

The sweeeeet little monkey-angel seems always to be happy and smile.
Watching the pictures makes me smile on a rainy day...
my old beloved tomcat Rasmus wants to start his last journey ...
and the mom is crying and crying...
So, thank you for the beautiful pictures and
the smile that they put on my face!

x
t.

hannah lemholt said...



he is quite a happy little soul.
it's such a beautiful time now,
- getting to see his personality take shape.

i'm sorry to hear that, darling..
they hold such a special place in our hearts,
the animals. feel for you.

thank you, always, for leaving love behind here.
i send it right back..

h.x